Hole board exploration is a behavioral paradigm especially used in mice, which requires no training. The animal is placed on a floor containing holes and head dipping into them is used as a measure of exploration. Drugs with diverse pharmacological properties targeting different neurotransmitter systems alter head dipping and exploratory behavior. In addition Hole board exploration can also be used with the TSE PhenoMaster System.
Our multi-purpose ActiMot2 system can be configured for Hole board experiments. Infrared sensors below the floor detect each hole visit, and locomotor activity of test animals above the floor. Both sensor frames can be adjusted in height resulting in individual hole depths.
TSE Systems also provides space-saving and cost-effective stand-alone Hole board systems with up to 16 holes for rats or mice that allow evaluation of exploration.
- Rat and mice boards with species-specific hole diameter
- 2x2 or 4x4 hole arrangement – custom inserts on request
- Status display of each hole during the running trial
- Outputs number of hole visits and time spent in each hole, distance moved
- User-defined storage interval
- Excel compatible result files