Indirect gas calorimetry uses measurements of the animal’s oxygen consumption (VO2) and carbon dioxide production (VCO2) to estimate various metabolic parameters, including the respiratory exchange rate (RQ), energy expenditure (EE), substrate utilization (fat reserves vs. carbohydrate catabolism), and more.
The PhenoMaster module for indirect gas calorimetry (CaloSys) is a fully automated high-throughput system for short- and long-term metabolic experiments offering the best possibilities for PULL and PUSH, continuous and multiplexed respirometry. The unique advantage: CaloSys is highly versatile! It can be used with a home cage setup granting maximal animal welfare and various combination options with other modules, but it can also be integrated into a treadmill (CaloTreadmill) or wheel (CaloWheel) for exercise calorimetry, or into a special cage construct designed for urine and feces quantification (Metabolic PhenoCage).
- Pull and Push air flow principle
- Continuous or multiplexed sampling
- Optional high-speed gas sensors accelerate multiplexed measurements
- An auto-calibration unit facilitates sensor adjustment prior to experiment
- Programmable mass-flow controllers for every cage optimize the flow rate according to animal size/species
- Every cage is equipped with a high-end temperature sensor for enhanced measurement accuracy
- The variable influence of water is eliminated from gas measurements by a first pass peltier-based gas drying unit prior to measuring oxygen or carbon dioxide
- Calorimetry in the home cage - low stress, high animal wellfare
- Exercise calorimetry on the CaloTreadmill or the CaloWheel
- Calorimetry under thermoneutral or rapid temperature challenge conditions in the Climate Chamber
- Modular design allows simultaneous assessment of metabolic, behavioral, cognitive, and physiological parameters
- PhenoMaster Software operates a virtually unlimited number of test systems simultaenously without experimenter interference - ideal for high-throughput experiments
- Product Details